PowerPoint: Are you a Lover or a Hater?


Take the survey — Most people have an extreme reaction to PowerPoint.  They either love it or hate it.  They build 300 page decks, or they want to ban it altogether.  And in the middle of all that, we forget why we are using it in the first place.  Where do you stand?


Gavin_Animated-GifGavin is a founding partner at fassforward consulting group. He blogs about PowerPoint, Presenting, Communication and Message Discipline at makeapowerfulpoint.com. You can follow him on twitter @powerfulpoint.

More at Google+Facebook and Pinterest. Comments are welcome, links are appreciated. If you’re interested in writing guest posts for this blog, please contact me.


  1. E. | November 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm

    How else could I create a 68-page deck with not one single, complete, grammatically-correct sentence?

  2. sharkables | November 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

    I’m loving your blog devoted to PowerPoint. I myself am a fan of PowerPoint the 1% of the time it’s used effectively. The other 99% makes me want to drive my head through the wall with their 300 page decks, as you put it.

    More people should read your blog and save me from meetings that descend into PowerPoint Purgatory.

    • Gavin | November 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

      Thanks. We’re on a mission to move (at least some) of the 99%.

  3. Harold Gardner | January 3, 2013 at 3:49 pm

    The PP issue is obvious to me. Such a vast majority of the decks are horrible, and generally the folks who use them are worse. You can use PP to stimulate a conversation, but usually PP seems to stifle any real communication. Although I generally support gun control, the one place that I would appreciate a concealed handgun license is in meetings. I am clear that shooting the next person who reads a PP deck from the screen would be not just justified homicide but a celebrated mercy killing!

Leave a Reply to E. Cancel reply